Sunday 1 November 2009

Samhain

It's the start of the November Challenges at Digital Craft Cottage and for the 'Quote it' challenge we have a choice of seasons to scrap. Sassy Serenity who set the challenge asked us to go back to our ancient roots and scrap the ancient seasons of Samhain or Beltaine. I'm doing both, but will come back witht he Beltaine (Spring) one later. I just thought it was appropriate to get this one out today, as Samhain is the festival which turned into Halloween.

Here is the Journalling:



Samhain is one of the four Celtic fire festivals marking the quarter points in the year - feasts were held and bonfires were lit throughout the countryside.The bonfires were to warm friendly spirits and ward off evil spirits, and also represented the sun which they wished would return, bringing heat and growth.



Never sleep or rest on the ground beneath the boughs of a hawthorn tree on Halloween as it's believed that evil spirits and mischievous faeries who are roaming the earth that night hide within the branches of hawthorn trees and cast unpleasant spells on those who innocently stop to rest beneath them.



Kits: May 08 & June 08 Gift A Day Kit from Digital Craft Cottage
SO November from Scraporchard
Font - Scrap Twiggy

5 comments:

  1. Oh, interesting history and a timely project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how much lore is associated with hawthorns, isn't it? I wonder if it's just because they get to be old and they're often interesting and gnarly shapes? Great LO, love the shot of the haws against the blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'm scared now I've got a row of Hawthorns at the bottom of my garden! Great layout Janice - wish I could master 'digital'.

    Love Lynda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fab Janice and I love the new banner. You should make them and sell them xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just looking around admiring your digital skills! :) Gorgeous photo of the Hawthorn berries.

    Thanks for the visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I read all the comments and publish them all except those which are anonymous, have links, or may be offensive to others. I love to read your comments, and if I have time I will reply to the comments but often that is not possible. Please be assured I do read and appreciate all that you say. Please come again :-)