Thursday 18 June 2009

Wednesday 10th - Florence

This was our first sighting of Florence when we got out of the coach by the River Arno. In 1966 this river flooded, many people were killed and many art works destroyed.
We met with the local guide who took us to Santa Croce, this church holds the monumental tombs of the great and the good of Florence, including Michelangelo (above) and Gallileo. It was not possible to get photographs of the outside as they use the Piazza there for concerts and were building seating.
We moved on to the Piazza della Signoria where the Fountain of Neptune and a copy of Michelangelo's David are located. The original David was moved inside in the 16th Century.
Here is David, we didn't get to see the original as there wasn't enough time to visit the museums.
Typical street in Florence.
This is the Cathedral Santa Maira del Fiore, the Duomo of Florence, it is vast and seems to go on forever.


The golden doors to the Baptistry are particularly stunning with very detailed scenes from the life of John the Baptist.
Campanile di Giotto - the Giotto Bell Tower
The Roman Gate

A member of our group recommended that we try the icecream at Grom it was well worth it. Brian had Chocolate Fondant and I had Raspberry sorbet and Lemon Sorbet.
We then went down to the Ponte Vecchio, which you can see behind me.


Brian on the Ponte Vecchio.


View from the other side of the Ponte Vecchio.

We met up at the coach again and were taken up to the gardens above Florence where there is another version of Michelangelo's David.

Both sides!!!

This is the fabulous view over Florence.
And here we are, just to prove we have been there!

9 comments:

  1. hehehe your ice-cream matches your top! Florence looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fantastic views Janice. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed by the naked men though!!!

    Mmmmmm ice cream looks scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cor what a lovely bum that bloke Dave has haha!

    What a great photo of you and Brian too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! I've really enjoyed all your posts about your trip. I think I would have had the sorbet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, give me Florence over Paris any day! That David gets about a bit, doesn't he? Lovely pics and the icecream looks alright, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely photos janice :) i'll be sad when we've seen them all.
    you have such a lovely smile janice,made me smile when i saw you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you & Brian are so lucky! I have always wanted to go to Florence!!!! Your pics show just how beautiful it is! Thank you XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh great photos Janice. You've reminded me of our visit to Florence - we had lunch in the square where the "David" statue is - it was lovely. And just over the Ponte Vecchio we found a fab ice cream place.... you were very good to stop at two flavours....

    ReplyDelete
  9. More wonderful photos even the clouds look perfect. David seems to get everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I read all the comments and publish them all except those which are anonymous, have links, or may be offensive to others. I love to read your comments, and if I have time I will reply to the comments but often that is not possible. Please be assured I do read and appreciate all that you say. Please come again :-)